Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Food Prep, Food Prep, Food Prep, and Crock Pots

Losing weight as a mom is a lot different than doing it the pre-child time in your life. You no longer have free time the way you did when you were child free. There is always laundry, cleaning, a boo boo to kiss or Legos to build. Sure, I could forgo playing with the kids to get more done, but wouldn't that be sad for everyone?

I'm not saying there isn't a lot to do if you're still childless. I'm just saying that there is more likely to be something that comes up and ruins your perfect plan for how to get stuff done that day. It's a lot easier to get a workout in when you don't have toddlers crying for a snack, or a toy or to go outside.

That is my biggest downfall right now. My kids would live outside if I let them, which is wonderful and exactly why I moved somewhere we could enjoy beach, mountain and as much of nature as possible. However, it means all the laundry and cooking and cleaning that needs to get done gets put off and I sometimes forget to take care of myself in all of this.

That is exactly why food prep and crock pots are now such an essential part of my life. By the time 4/5pm rolls around, I may not have energy to put together a nice healthy meal, so having prep work done, or a healthy crockpot dinner already going is essential to my success, and really the success of any mom of young kids trying to shed the excess weight and get healthy.

I love lots of veggies on salads for lunch (and really, one should be consuming 8 cups of veggies a day), but I don't always have time to chop up fresh ones. That is exactly why I always chop up all the peppers and onions and carrots and zucchini or whatever other wonderful fresh veggies I have, as soon as I have any spare time. When I get the kids inside for lunch, I just keep chopping until I'm done, and put the ones I don't need into zip lock bags in the fridge so it is one less thing to worry about.

I will cook up a huge batch of quinoa or brown rice, rather than just what the recipe calls for so I have that on hand too, and finally, I live for crock pot meals. The middle of the day around lunch is usually the longest period of the day I can keep the boys inside and distracted while I get stuff done. It is the perfect time to throw things in the crockpot so I don't have to worry about dinner the rest of the day.

My favorite blog for recipes is www.skinnytaste.com, and I also love grabbing ideas from www.tlsslim.com/shopswartz. The database of recipes, and my easy ability to add those recipes to my food journal adds even more ease to my weight loss journey.

I also have found certain snacks I am obsessed with, and have them auto shipped to my house through www.shop.com/shopswartz groceries. I love me some Luna Bars, and they are not only completely in line with low GI eating, but are delicious and so easy for me to grab while chasing kids around or to pack with me while out running errands. This doesn't even include all the other staples like Annie's organic mac&cheese I can buy im bulk which makes trips to the grocery store that much faster, freeing up at least some time. Plus, getting cash back for having them delivered to my house never hurt either! :)

All of this contributes to how I am able to be successful. I know I said I would discuss exercise this blog, but I think this covers enough for today, so stay tuned to how to fit in exercise while taking care of twin toddlers and a newborn! Also stay tuned for food journaling, and why it is sugh a vital part of my weight loss journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment