During my pregnancy with the twins, I got something called diastasis recti, which is a splitting of the abdominal muscles. Most women get this to some degree when pregnant, but it is so negligible that they may never even realize it happened. With the twins, my abs split over a full hand apart. They went back together for the most part, but this pregnancy it happened again. It is only four fingers this time, but it still limits what exercise I can do. It doesn't, however, restrict my nutrition, so for the beginning of this journey, what I put in my body is going to be the most important thing. It really is the most important thing anyway, but it's easier to feel like you're making progress towards your weight loss goal when you're working up a sweat every day.
In the one week that I've started to focus on eating foods that are high in fiber, and replacing the sugary junk foods with way more fruits and vegetables, I've already lost 2 lbs. Some people may say that's the breast feeding, but I know it's because I'm finally putting good foods into my body consistently. When I was nursing the twins, I barely lost any weight until after I was done because any time I started to restrict calories in the slightest, my supply would go down, and nursing my twins properly was way more important to me than losing the weight right away.
This time, I know nursing is helping, but I believe I am able to start dropping the pounds because I'm not focusing on calories, but rather the quality of the food I'm eating. I make sure I am putting food into my system at least every 3 hours while I'm awake to keep my supply up. My snacks include things like protein bars, or celery with peanut butter, or a TLS nutrition shake with some spinach, kale, and berries thrown in. Before I was reaching for chips, or just a banana. What I've learned already through TLS, is that if I have protein every time I eat, not only does it help me keep my energy up, it helps me keep the all important milk supply up too.
One day last week, I did what everyone does, and I decided to not follow what I knew I should, and only did snack on an apple to try to speed up the weight loss process. That led to a fussy Mason because I didn't have as much milk as usual at his next feeding, and a grumpy momma because I was hungry again so quickly with no time to grab a snack.
Here are my before photos, as promised, and I can't wait to give you more updates. My next post is going to focus on how I manage my time, while watching the kids, so that I don't start eating what is "easy" and completely terrible for me. It will also focus on how to fit in some extra, easy exercise that doesn't just include chasing around the kids. I need it for my sanity as well as my health!

No comments:
Post a Comment